Friday, February 25, 2011

FOOT: "I (heart) Novels"

"'I visit a bookstore two or three times a week, but I never stop in the cell-phone-novel area.'

Toyozaki concurred. 'Once you stop there, you feel sick,' she said."

From the article "I (heart) Novels" by Dana Goodyear, this is a quote that really resonated with me. Even after reading this article, I have mixed feelings about this genre of literature.

On one hand, I find it very interesting that literature has evolved in that direction. Authors became more resourceful and changed their medium for writing. On the other hand, I personally am not interested in that genre of literature at all. I hold some what of the same viewpoint as expressed in that quote above.

Still, I realize as a future teacher that just because I don't like a certain genre does not mean that my students will hold the same opinion. I think that it is really important for pre-service teachers to really take that into consideration. I believe that if you can get a student reading and get them to find their niche, you have done them a world of good. As of right now, I haven't really experienced having a student who doesn't like to read. This is a genre I will totally keep in mind to recommend to future students who might struggle with certain genres. Books such as TTYL by Lauren Myracle are an example of books written in text/instant message.

3 comments:

  1. So true. It is pretty cool to see how literature has evolved. I never really thought that cell phones would be the next step, but why not? They have become an integral part of many lives, so why not the literature world? I do agree with you though. It is not a genre I would be interested in. I think I would get irritated with the text, simply because the language is different. I think I would have a hard time reading it and would lose interest. But if it does interest our students, we should do everything to help encourage that interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is important for students to know that there are different ways for them to get their writing out there. I think this would be a good project for students to use as a writing excersise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to side with you on not being too interested in these types of novels. I was not even aware that there was a type of novels that were created on cell phones before this article, so that I thought was rather clever. It is very good for us, future teachers, to have an open mind. We will have students of all interests and should be accepting of those different views and help students to find books that fit with their views. I think one of the down falls to some of these novels for myself is that I can't read them as fast. I know some text lingo, but not a lot. This is something that I'm sure would be a cinch for middle and high schoolers today. They are so used to using that kind of language that reading a book in that same way would be easy and fun for them.

    ReplyDelete