Wednesday, February 9, 2011

FOOT: Video Games In the Classroom


I have really mixed feelings about this article. Part of me thinks that it is really neat that they are able to use a game format in the school setting. I'm sure that the kids are really interested in this format because of its multimodality. It is in a format that the student's are really able to connect to. When I was reading this, I thought of the computer games I played as a child. This was something I left out of my autobiography and I wish I would have included!
When I was younger, my sister Mary and I used to play these games on the computer. I always wanted to try and get ahead of the grade level that I was at to really challenge myself. It was in video game format so it was similar to what they were talking about in the article. Yet, my mom got me these as a supplemental material. I think because I want to be a teacher, I really like the traditional school idea slightly more. I would love to be able to incorporate video games as supplemental material but I'm still unsure how I feel about a school where video games play such an important role. It's probably because I am the type of person who can't stare at a screen for hours without getting a headache.

A quote that stood out to me was: "Doyle leaned back in his chair. Had he taught anything? Had they learned anything?" I feel like there are some classrooms that you might go into and ask "Had they learned anything?" and to have to apply it to another level where kids are playing with video games might be an even tougher question to answer.


2 comments:

  1. We did talk about this a bit already, but I agree. I think it is a really neat idea and I think it could really work as a single class. But to have at least some form of it in almost every class is too much. Supplemental is much better. There are other ways to make learning fun while meaningful. I don't think it's very smart to entirely change a classroom, like in this article. There is a reason traditional has stayed for so long and so long as we are willing to change, there is no reason to completely throw out tried and true methods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this isn't related that much to your post, but I want to THANK YOU for posting this. I have been trying to remember the robot game I use to play on computer when I was little and this is it. It was the BEST game ever!

    ReplyDelete