Monday, February 7, 2011

FOOT: Little Brother (Part 2)

I was really disappointed with the way Little Brother ended. The fact that Severe Haircut got off really made me upset. I feel slightly let down. Even though the ending wasn't to my taste, I feel that there are really good discussion ideas from the themes in this book. Overall, it has some really good ideas, but the whole sex thing threw me for a loop and I didn't feel it was totally necessary because it neither added or subtracted to the plot. Since the sex thing is in the book, I could see it presenting possible problems with readers or parents of students in my class.
The whole censorship thing might make this a book that would be hard to teach. I'm sure that there are parents out there who would really disagree with reading a book that featured 2 teenagers having sex, even though it wasn't overly graphic. I would really like to use this book in my future classroom, I'm just afraid that the sex thing will really put it on the censorship chopping block.

ALSO: I AM SO HAPPY THAT LARPING ACTUALLY CAME INTO PLAY WITH THE PLOT!!!
(I know, I'm such a nerd :-D)

1 comment:

  1. I agree about the sex thing. I could totally see using this book in my classroom until that happened. It wasn't overly graphic, but if the author felt it needed to be there he could have left out some details. It makes me sad because that one instant in the one thing that might keep this out of the classroom.

    ReplyDelete