Monday, April 25, 2011

PYTASH: Literature, Knowledge, and the High School Graduate

I found this chapter of the book to be pretty interesting. I really liked the “A note on consistency” on page 155. I feel that in high school, I never really did in class essays like this. I think that students really need that practice of writing in class essays to prepare for standardized tests. Another thing that I really liked about this chapter was the example “Test on Julius Caesar.” I like the whole use of student thought in the questions instead of just “This is what happened.” I think that having students give their opinion on things as well as have to explain or back up their reasoning. I also think that it was a good idea to use their answers to start discussions the day after. It can help with creating lesson plans.

Although not technically part of the chapter, I really enjoyed the lists of canonical texts at the end of the book. I am going to use this as my “Books I Need to Read” list over this summer.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Sarah. I liked the "Test on Julius Caesar" as well. I like that students can give their opinions, but then they have to be able to support their stance. I also think as a teacher, discussion questions are beneficial because you have a better idea of what your student is understanding.

    ReplyDelete