Saturday, April 9, 2011

PYTASH: All About Words

I really liked some of the ideas that Jago brought up in chapter 2 about building vocabulary. When students don't know what words mean, there is no way to be able to just read the text and get it. Reading comprehension is directly tied to knowing vocabulary. Yet, I liked how Jago used the Vocabulary Bookmark on pg. 24. I think it is a way for students to identify their own weaknesses in vocabulary so that instruction becomes more meaningful.
Another thing that I really liked from the text was the Do and Don't list on page 32. I feel that these are all really good points to use. The only one I think I would like to change is the last don't about illustrating one word in a class period. I think that it shouldn't be in the classroom, but I think that it would be a great take home assignment so that way we could hang up the posters around the room so that I could refer to the words that the students had trouble with later on in the semester.
Another Vocabulary Bookmark can be found HERE.

1 comment:

  1. I also like the use of a visual to create a word wall (agree, good homework assignment).

    ReplyDelete