Saturday, April 2, 2011

FOOT: Cleveland Film Festival "Dressed"


On Thursday night, Connor and I went to see Dressed. It is a documentary about a young fashion designer, Nary Manivong, and his journey to show a collection at New York Fashion Week. I chose this film because the head of Fashion Week Cleveland, Donald Shingler, had sent a mass e-mail to everyone involved in FWC, and it just so happened to be one of the only films I could fit in my schedule. I though that it was a really cool experience. When I got there, the film was on stand-by and I got tickets and waited in the food court even though it was closed. While I was waiting in the food court, Donald ran up to me and he was dressed in a suit and tie, which made me feel extremely under dressed in my jeans and crew neck sweatshirt. When we were let into the theater, they had a few speakers talk before the movie started. Low and behold, Donald was one of those speakers and he talked about how there is a group that is working on providing up and coming designers retail space in downtown Cleveland to help revitalize the city. I though that was really cool.

Then the movie had technical difficulties...



which led to a 30+ minute question and answer session with Nary while the director ran back to his hotel to get another copy of the film. It was really interesting because Nary was originally from a suburb of Cleveland, then moved to Columbus when he was about 8. It was cool to find out that he is working on a collection called NAHM with Tommy Hilfiger's daughter, Ally Hilfiger. To the right is a picture I took in the lobby of Tower City.

If you would like to view a trailer of the movie click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment