Monday, April 25, 2011

PYTASH: Final Reflection

This semester is coming to a screeching halt. I feel like I still have so much to learn and so much to do. This class has just been really good for actually covering a canonical text. I feel that even though I liked the set up of last semester’s class a little better, I feel very prepared to actually teach some lessons on Gatsby. I also really liked having the group projects. It really allowed group collaboration and generated many more ideas about teaching than I could have come up with on my own. It helped me realize that asking for other teachers’ opinions does not mean that you cannot do it; it just means that you want to make sure that what you are teaching is going to be the best possible option for your students. I just wish that we could have covered more books and I am totally going to keep the Jago book to refer back to once I start teaching. I almost feel that the one class a week was not enough, even though it was still a decent amount of week! I wish that there were a class very similar to this one but that just covered a ton of different canonical texts, almost like how we covered YA literature last semester. Even though it would probably be hard work, I think that students could benefit immensely from that kind of a class. I am definitely going to miss having Dr. Pytash next semester because I feel that I have learned so much about teaching from the two classes this year.

2 comments:

  1. I also would really like to have another class devoted to other canonical texts. It was benefical looking at The Great Gatsby so closely, but I would like to apply these different ideas to other texts as well. I just wish that I had even more experience with canonical literature. I am really thankful for the wiki, and find it to be a great resource for more canonical information. What I am really curious about is how many of these different books we should have read before entering our professional careers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to keep that in mind for next semester (adding more books). My rationale for using The Great Gatsby is that I wanted you to become very familiar with one book so you could think about how it could be used in a variety of ways. I always assumed you would be exposed to "the canon" in your English courses.

    ReplyDelete