Sunday, January 30, 2011

FOOT: Pleasure Reading of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams


In between class, homework, and sleep, this is one of the books that I am trying to read for "pleasure reading." I haven't gotten very far yet but I really enjoy it thus far. My dad really likes sci-fi books and thinkgeek.com. He has been trying to get me to read this book for ages, and asked for a t-shirt from thinkgeek.com with the number 42 on it. Sometimes if he is trying to be funny he will ask me "Do you have your towel?" Needless to say, he really likes "geeky" stuff and it's rubbed off on me.

Last week, I went to Half-Priced Books (I could probably spend DAYS there and not even realize it) and started looking over the shelves. I went to the sci-fi section looking for some of Issac Asimov's books. Right above the shelf with Asimov's books was The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. So I decided to pick it up. To my absolute delight, the book (unlike the picture's price but same cover artwork) was 2.95 originally so I was REALLY excited to even get half off of that! I will totally be posting later on as I read to tell you what I though of the book. If I like this book, I plan on getting the rest of the series.

(UPDATE: 2/6/10)
So I'm about halfway through the book and I find myself thinking about how, if at all, I could use this in a classroom. Some of the names in the book are rather confusing but I think that it is an interesting read. I'm not sure if I would be able to use this book in a classroom setting unless I was teaching a unit on science fiction. It is rather "lighthearted" in comparison to some science fiction books. I think I might use it as a book that I would have in my classroom library and recommend it for students who might be interested in science fiction.

Here is a movie trailer I found on Youtube for the 2005 movie version of the book

No comments:

Post a Comment