Thursday, December 16, 2010

14: Finding the Right Book

I really loved the description for "the right book" because it talked about things I wouldn't have considered otherwise. Things such as white space and and illustrations are often overlooked, I feel, by many teachers. I also really liked "Suggestion 5: Create a Good Books Box." I feel that this is KEY! When students are looking for places to find books they might want to read and are sent to the library, that can be extremely overwhelming because they don't know where to start. This is one MAJOR reason I want to start a classroom library. It is CRUCIAL to have books to recommend to students because otherwise they might not know where to look and just give up. Knowing "good books" to suggest and having access to them is a key thing that teachers should do. Also, "good books" should NOT mean just the teachers favorites. Having access to all types of books is what needs to happen because not all students have the same taste as the teacher.

1 comment:

  1. Good points... it is so important for students to be surrounded by books - especially in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete