Tuesday, March 15, 2011

FOOT: Publish or Perish

I have a dream. I have a dream that one day when I own a house, I will have an office and in my office, there will hardly be any wall space left because the walls are hidden by floor to ceiling bookshelves. It will look something like this, but with darker woods, the desk in the middle of the room and dark green walls:

I know there are many people who love their e-readers, such as the Nook, Kindle, or iPad. I have personally debated about getting one of these devices. Yet in the end, while reading “Publish or Perish” I saw this quote:


“No matter where consumers buy books, their belief that electronic media should cost less—that something you can’t hold simply isn’t worth as much money—will exert a powerful force.”


I thought about this statement and how I held this belief too. I know you can hold an e-reader but there is just something about turning a page and the smell of a book that is more impressive and dear to my heart than holding a larger version of an iPhone or e-reader.


I thought the ideas presented in this article were interesting. It got me thinking about how one day in the future, my students might be more familiar with their e-readers than a physical book. I will most likely one day in the future have to adapt to this technology. Yet, e-readers are putting a damper on my dream office. I find a bookshelf filled with books to be more appealing and impressive than a “playlist” of books. No matter what, I think I will always like walking around a bookstore for hours on end, looking for new books, more than sitting in front of a computer, staring at a screen.

2 comments:

  1. I too want a room filled with books when I own my own house. I love the feel of books. I love looking at the covers and flipping through the pages. But I also have an e-reader. I love my e-reader because I can put books on it that I don't care if I have a hard copy of. There are also alot of free e-books. I will never give up my real books, but I also like being able to have several books with me at one time without the bulk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more. I bought a Kindle to basically save on some school books, and it's cool but it doesn't compare to the feel and smell of real books. I prefer something tangible and real, with a cover and a scent and an excerpt to the author's next book. I hope e-readers do not become a part of the curriculum-it just won't be the same.

    ReplyDelete