Thursday, October 14, 2010

Chapter 9: Vocabulary

Part of me really likes this chapter and part of me does not. I like this chapter because it gives more examples of how to teach vocabulary effectively. Yet, part of me keeps thinking about how Vocabulary is one of the most overdone standards. I remember in my Principles class that Vocab is one of the areas that is over done where as other areas are more likely to be neglected such as "Reading Applications: Informational, Technical and Persuasive Text Standard." I do understand that having a strong vocabulary base is crucial to increase understanding. I really like the strategies such as the Vocabulary Tree to help construct meaning around root words. I found that the strategies given in this section would have benefited me more than just a blank worksheet if I would have used them in high school. I think the reason why I didn't like this chapter quite as much as the others is because my high school teachers never used these strategies and I wish they would have. All they ever did was give us a worksheet of words to define for homework and memorize. Honestly, I feel like it did not help me. They were words kind of like the Vocabulary Casserole recipe. So I guess I'm a little resentful toward them, but this chapter also really helped me realize that I can save some kids in the future from being subjected to Vocab Casserole, which in the long run will make me a better teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment